Wednesday, July 4, 2007

(Unwanted) Birthday Presents

My aunties Julia and Nancy have forgotten the exact date of my birthday (they thought it was today), but no matter, they’ve graciously given me a rediculous TV for the new apartment. My jaw hit the floor when I saw it: 32” HD widescreen TV/DVD combo, and they included a wall mount with it. And here I was sifting through Craig’s list for cheap/free 20” TVs.

Why do I say “unwanted” then? Because I know they’re not doing so well these days, and they can’t afford it. I shudder every time my birthday/Christmas rolls around and I get packages from them, because it invariably means a pricey gift that is well-intentioned, but is something that they can’t and shouldn’t pay for it. When people give me gifts, generally I say something along the lines of “Oh thank you, but you really shouldn’t have.” Well, in this case, I mean it.

It worries me that they feel the need to give expensive gifts, even though their own finances aren’t in great shape. Part of it is pride and the need to keep up appearances, and part is just bad judgment. I reiterate this every year, but I wish I could convey for once and for all, that a simple card or phone call would express their love just as well.

They included the gift receipts. I’m crossing my fingers that if I return the TV, the money can be placed back on the credit card, since they undoubtedly put it on one.

2 comments:

J said...

Oooh ridiculous gift, eh?

CC said...

clearly now I need the satellite dish and xbox to go with it.