Monday, July 2, 2007

Homecoming

Louisville has grown and matured in the last seven years, and I suppose I have as well. The skyline is dotted with new skyscrapers that weren’t there when I left, there’s a new baseball stadium downtown, empty fields have been converted into shopping plazas and restaurants, while less successful storefronts have been replaced. Simultaneously, people have moved up and onward. Skinny schoolkids are now hulking teens, and the toddlers are so numerous I can’t keep track of their names (surprise). Many of the people I knew here moved out of state for college and haven’t come back. And a few people’s parents and grandparents have moved up and beyond, and are never coming back.

I went to see Caroline today, who is an old family friend, to reminisce about old news and gossip about new news. Her first comment was, “Well, you are lookin’ good, girl!” and her second comment was, “You look the same!” Apparently she has a new man, and hasn’t told Bill (the old man) about this, but simply has dinner with him once a week and lets him assume that she wants more time to herself. “After going with someone for 20 years, sometimes things just get old, you know? And I don’t want to hurt Bill’s feelings, so I still see him once a week. Sonny understands there’s nothing between us, and that I’d like to keep up the friendship, so it’s been working out fine!”

I hope I’m that feisty when I’m old.

For kicks and giggles, I then decided to drive by my old house and my old old house. The latter had been painted white with maroon trim (it used to be yellow), and the former had a funky African statue in the front. Also, the trees were too big, or, bigger than I remembered them. In either case, it looked like the houses were well-maintained, so I won’t begrudge the owners some styling modifications.

On impulse, I drove by my old daycare and stopped in. Spying an elderly teacher in the hall, I accosted her and said, “When I was this little girl’s age (*waves), I used to go to this preschool.” I told her my name and she said, “Why, yes, yes! And you had a brother, his name was…” “Chester,” I prompted. “His name was Chester, and he’s turning 16 this month.” “Oh my word, well I’m so glad you stopped by!” I asked if she was Miss Goldie (the only teacher I remember), and she was indeed! I mentioned that my brother and I still remembered her, and Miss Goldie laughed and said, “Well, I sure hope they were good memories!” To be precise, my strongest memory happened immediately after the release of Lion King, with my brother exclaiming, “Aunt Donna is Simba! Miss Goldie is Scar!” However, I thought it better to refrain from mentioning this.

No comments: