Monday, July 16, 2007

In the loop in the Loop

It's been one week since I started work, and my worst fears (e.g. being asked arcane econometrics questions point-blank) did not materialize. The senior economists in my group have been quite helpful, and the other AEs my age have turned out to be pretty cool kids. (There weren't pre-formed cliques! No one made fun of the color of my Trapper-Keeper!) And after a week on the job, I have abandoned all pretense of wearing "business casual" to work and gone back to my usual khakis instead. My aunt will be so disappointed.

Friday night, I was hanging out with some Fed kids at a happy hour of sorts, and heard that someone was throwing a (studio apt) house party later that evening. My initial reaction was: 1) I don't know if I'm in the mood for a party, 2) er, was my last house party dilj's Chinese New Year party? In February? 3) damn, I sucked at being college, 4) never mind, I need to bike home in traffic so forget drinking.

I spent the bulk of the next day apartment hunting with Katherine, who is currently squatting at some friend of the family's house. After seeing closet-size "bedrooms" and being told that the nearest "grocery store" was a CVS, we decided to give David's house a shot. Whistles*, the place had a beautiful open kitchen (let's be serious, it's the most important room in the house) and a roof-top patio. Afterwards, we grabbed tacos at a tacqueria joint around the corner and set off on a walking tour of Ukrainian Village led by David. This was probably the most informative thing I've done in Chicago, a great insider look at a neighborhood. I'm probably a little jealous that I can't move into this house.


Final thought: regardless of what the locals say, the Manhattan street numbering system is better than that of any other city I've seen. Yes, Chicago has a grid system, is a planned city, etc. but the way the addresses are constructed, you only know one coordinate (x or y) at a time. Washington's street system has too many spokes and similar-sounding street names (the alphabet?), while Boston doesn't have any system to speak of. I like the idea of actual street names, which are used here for most streets, but there's something to be said for the simplicity and immediate comprehensibility of numbered streets.

No comments: