Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Deal of the Day


Either the economy is just that bad, or someone made a terrible mistake, because I just purchased a $120 peacoat for the low, low price of $6. My decision making process went something like this:

Me: But I don't need a coat. I don't even like peacoats!
Alex: Dude, six bucks. My lunch cost more than that.
Me: Excellent point. Dammit, I really wanted brownie. Quick, tomato or sunflower?
Alex: Red. Yellow looks bad on Asians.
Me: Fine, it's in the cart. Wait, do I really want this coat? Much less a tomato one?
Alex: But how can you pass something like this up? It's 95% off, almost free!
Me: Shipping is $5 so I am spending $11 that I otherwise wouldn't have today. Yeah, that's like free.

[For the next 20 minutes, I valiantly attempt to check out and encounter error after error as Tulle's servers are swamped by traffic from cheap bastards like myself. The endowment effect and loss aversion kicks in...]

Me (hyperventilating): Noooo! Why won't my order go through?? Wait, that worked! YES.

As with any arbitrage opportunity, the window with which you can take advantage of it is quite small. By the time I managed to check out, it appeared that there were no coats left in stock.

I figure if I don't actually want to wear it, I can always resell the coat for way more than its purchase price.

2 comments:

Aintaer said...

srsly man, six dollars.

And you have me to thank!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I agree with the potential resale value of this coat! Either way, a win-win situation. I like the "bubble" background which is compounds the bubble theme of your blog description. :)

JM