Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Why I Blog

<rant>

In reference to the lengthy post below, someone just asked why they should read it. Rather than extol the merits of my concise history of the Chicago World's Fair (where I have done all the heavy lifting of analysis and summary), I bit my tongue and said "Well then, don't read it."

Let me make one thing clear: I write this blog for me. No one else, just me. I have never, ever asked anyone to read it. There are enough ways that people can stumble upon it on their own, and if they feel it's worth their time, revisit occasionally. I never assume that people have read these posts when I speak to them in person. It's nice to hear comments and interact from readers, but I could care less if I didn't have an audience. I strive to make my posts well-written and interesting, and try to post frequently enough that the blog doesn't get stale. But when it comes down to it, I'm not trying to tailor to your needs, I'm writing to satisfy mine. It's a selfish perspective, I know.

< /rant>

Sorry, I'm probably in a crappy mood because Air India has informed us that they've canceled our flight. After hours on the phone, they only thing they'll tell me is that they won't give at refunds at this point, and that I should call back in a week. Let's hope they're not about to file for Chapter 11.

No comments: