Sunday, January 18, 2009

Glasses

The last time I had my eyes checked was sophomore year...of high school. So, now that I have vision insurance, I figured it was time to replace my old glasses. Over the years, these babies have been scratched, dropped, sat on, and thrown off bikes. If I tilt my head down, they tend to fall off. When I handed them to the optometrist, he set them down and summarily said, "Yeah, these have had it." I promised him I would come back more often than every 9 years.

In the last 9 years, they have also improved eye examination technology quite a bit. Rather than dilating my eyes (which is always a huge annoyance and painful), they used an Optos retinal scan to photograph and image the back of my eyeball. Apparently, I have "gorgeous" retinas and optic nerves. They also had a video-game-like exercise to document your blind spots, where fuzzy blocks would flash in various parts of your field of vision, and you had to push the button if you could see it. I missed a few patches at the beginning, but once I figured out what was going on, I caught every block thereafter.

I didn't spend that much time choosing new frames, but when I happened upon these, the receptionist called them "funky." I decided that this was a positive thing. Also, I have a slight nickel allergy, which means I was limited to the few pairs of titanium or stainless steel frames available. Anyway, here's the "funkier," edgier new me:

2 comments:

Tomás said...

I like, I like :)

Also, I'm glad we can make fun of horrific events throughout the course of history. Thanks for the laughs in your previous post, haha.

Anonymous said...

Love the glasses!!

JV