Friday, November 13, 2009

Retail Therapy

The Tokyoites have certainly embraced shopping as a legitimate pastime, so with that in mind, I spent a couple hours shopping in Shibuya 109, which is a mecca for young fashionistas sporting the latest trends. If you are over 30, you will feel out of place here. Actually, I felt pretty out of place anyway since I was the only woman in the place whose knees were covered. The uniform of choice for a young Japanese woman is comprised of a miniskirt, leggings, high boots, and some sort of cute top. That's cute, not skanky; the emphasis is generally on feminine and sweet, rather than hoochie mamma. However, as you go further up in floors, the attire does get a bit edgier, with more black, leather, and particularly for men, chains and ripped jeans.

Downstairs at the Hello Kitty store, there was a display of rhinestone studded items, including a guitar, a miniature piano, cell phone accessories, notebooks, etc. The caption was "Bling Me!"

Since Asians are not well known for having curves, I guess it makes sense that there is so much focus on legs. I have never seen so many varieties of socks, high socks and tights in my life. I was going to buy a pair of Super Mario socks, but then I got distracted by something else (fleece overalls perhaps) and forgot to go back and get them. I was also really amused by the store called "American Casual Wear" which featured colorful varsity jackets, jeans and corduroys in bright greens, reds and yellows. Suffice it to say, not many Americans casually wear any of this.

Engrish is omnipresent on clothing, labels and signs. It makes me wonder if they bother asking someone to grammar and spell check writing before they rush off to produce clothing, or if the Japanese simply don't care. I saw a hoodie for "Chicago Univer" and considered buying it.

Most clothing was priced higher than I was willing to pay, but items on the "Price Down" racks tended to be reasonable. I choose a few things and tried them on. Whoa, everything fit perfectly! I hadn't even bothered to look at the sizing tags. All you people who are average size in the US should appreciate it.

The Japanese are ridiculously polite to the point of it being uncomfortable for me. Every retail transaction is a theatrical show, as the clerk makes a point of showing you the item you're buying, having you place your payment in a tray, gingerly handing back your receipts and/or change, all while smiling and bowing slightly. When you try on clothing, they undo all the buttons and take everything off the hangers for you before you step inside the dressing room. One time, after buying something, I reached for the package that I'd bought and the clerk waved me away. She walked me to the door, then presented me with the bag handle, and bowed until I'd left the premises. Is this really necessary??

They also love excess packaging here, with every item (already wrapped in several layers of paper or plastic) placed in a paper bag that is taped, and then placed inside another larger bag. Having said that, Tokyo has a great municipal recycling program. Every trash can has slots for cans, bottles and paper. If only this could take off in the US as well.

Despite my staunch anti-consumerism, eventually the neon lights, blaring pop music and entreaties of "Irashaimase!" from the store clerks got to me: I bought clothing in a store (so this excludes Woot t-shirts) for the first time in at least a year. This dress is definitely not my usual style, but I've decided I'll be wearing it for the Irony.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

want pictures of purchases! also, jenny z would wear a mini-skirt (with no tights/leggings!). also, i lol'ed at the image of the bowing store clerk following you with your bag.
Katherine

Anonymous said...

also could possibly tell us more about your accommodations? i want to know what japanese hostels are like....
:) Katherine

Anonymous said...

I want to see the dress!!!

Thanks for the very very detailed info. This is very informative! (JM)