Monday, July 13, 2009

Dell Vostro 1520


I've been putting this off for a while now, but I finally sat down and bought a new laptop. My current computer (Dell Inspiron 5100) is now a Triassic 6 years old, so I figure I've gotten my money's worth, and can afford to move on to something that doesn't have a panic attack under the duress of Photoshop. No, I didn't cave; I am still Mac product-free.

The new Dell Vostro 1520 goes something like this: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz, 3 gb ram, Nvidia Geforce 9300m 256 mb video card, 250 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, 15.4" display, DVD burner, webcam, laptop bag included. It comes with Windows XP Professional installed with Vista cds and Windows 7 upgrade rights, so I can upgrade if/when I want to. (I know, if I were cooler, I'd be running solely Linux. Yeah, yeah.) The outside of the case is cherry red, which is my new favorite color. (Or not. I didn't have another option.) With various sales and other discounts, the whole shebang set me back $746 + tax. This is about 33% off the amount I paid for my last laptop, or an even steeper discount if you account for inflation.

It feels weird not to have a browser history, almost as if a good chunk of my past and my identity has just been wiped out. In the meantime, I am still soliciting ideas for a new desktop wallpaper (so far, suggestions have included Naruto, two votes for Bruno, and digital abstract). As a stopgap measure, I am currently using chef Philip Foss' photo of a mussel, which may or may not be in good taste. (I did find Bruno hilarious, after all.)

No comments: